Monday, December 22, 2008

Journey is the destination

Elder Phillips, my first companion, talked about a phrase, ''The journey is the destination.'' For example, most of the time when you go backpacking, you don't actually go someplace, you just walk around with a backpack on for a few days. It is the same with a mission, or kind of, it isn't the perfect analogy. But, the idea is that the mission is the destination, and it is important to enjoy the journey. The goal of a mission is not just to finish the two years. The mission is the goal, if that makes sense. The idea was really good, and it was something that I really needed to learn. Sometimes I just feel like the mission is too hard, and like I am just trying to endure until the two years are over. But, the mission is the destination, and it took a long time (19 years) to get here. I need to enjoy it while it lasts. Thanks to my Aunt Rae, who in a letter said something about how after her mission she remembers the good more that the hard, and that it is the hard memories that help make good memories.

No comments: