Monday, January 5, 2009

Transfer of area

So, this week we found an awesome investigator, Cyprien. We found him on Friday, he wanted us to come back on Saturday, and he came to church on Sunday. We ended up teaching him on Sunday since anther rendez-vous fell through. He understands really well, and seems to already believe that it is true, even if he doesn't have a really strong testimony yet. I think that he used to be Catholic, but that he left because he felt like their teaching weren't in harmony with the Bible. I think he might have gone to several churches before. So, it is possible that it won't turn out quite as well as it first seems, since that happens often. But, it is very possible that he will be someone who is baptized two weeks after he met the missionaries, someone who was looking for the truth, but hadn't found it yet.

But, unfortunately, I won't be able to continue teaching him, since the change of areas will be happening today. So, I will now be in an area that I know nothing about. But, really the hardest part is just leaving all of the people that we were teaching. There are some that are getting close to baptism, which is cool, and I'm sad that I will miss out on that. There are others who are really good people, but that I have a feeling won't be taught nearly as often, or at all after the change. Some missionaries are more willing to stop teaching people if they don't come to church, or keep commitments, etc. Others are willing to give them more chances. I think that one of the missionaries who will be working in the area is one of the type that will stop teaching people if they aren't keeping commitments. Which is necessary sometimes. It is hard because I think that most missionaries have a tendency to want to teach the people that they find, and that they started teaching. That is normal, but hard sometimes.

Sorry, that all sounded kind of negative. I really don't think it will be that bad, but I am a little discouraged that it is possible that tons of people I started teaching won't get taught anymore. But, I also think that that is one reason for transfers in a mission, so that the missionaries teach the people who really need to be taught. It is easy for missionaries who have stayed in an area for a while to want to keep teaching people who really aren't that interested in learning, and waste time like that. By changing missionaries, there isn't that attachment there, and it can help things progress. But, there has to be a balance there. Too far to one side is bad, and too far to the other is bad.

So, yeah, hopefully that made sense. I just don't want people to miss out on the blessings of the gospel because the missionaries don't teach them. But, they have to be willing to act as well. Sometimes it just takes time, and it is hard to know how much time is the right amount. I am pretty sure that most of the feeling come every time that you are transfered. But, especially when you are just swapping areas with another set of missionaries, and you are in the same apartment with them, it is hard. I will just have to continue on in faith, and trust the Lord knows what He is doing.

No comments: